September 25, 2012

Turkey Trip!

I spent last week in Turkey. I had never had any desire to go there previously, but now that I've gone I can't believe what I might of missed! Turkey is a beautiful country and it has a ton of awesome history. It seems like every significant empire in history has had a hold there at some point or another; everyone from the Hittites to the rule of Constantine to the Ottomans. 

The week was just a blur. Everyday started before 6am and we usually weren't finished with dinner until 10. Exhausting, but I loved every minute of it. 

Our first day we walked all over Istanbul to the Blue Mosque, the Hagia Sophia, the Topkapi Palace, the Grand Bazaar, and so much more. Unfortunately, my camera died with the first picture of the day, so I just had to document everything with my mind (and I'll get pictures from friends!). My favorite stop of the day must have been the Topkapi Palace. This place was the epitome of luxury. It was built by the Ottoman sultans right on the Bosporus Strait. The palace had awesome exhibits of the sultan's jewels, including an 87 carat diamond (I'll expect nothing less from my future hubby). Another exhibit had the "authentic" staff of Moses, a hair from Muhammad's beard, a cooking pot belonging to Abraham, and so many other religious artifacts, I don't know if I believe it all....  But it was cool!

One of my favorite sights was Pergamum. The acropolis we saw was one of the seven churches of the apocalypse. Maybe it was a bad back in the day, but now a days its a sweet spot!



Our second day we visited Gallipoli, where the Ottomans won a serious battle against the Anzacs in WWI. Something of 550,000 men died on the beach there. We saw the memorial and visited the little cemetery they had nearby. We were already acquainted with this tragic story because we watched the movie a week before: Gallipoli, starring a young and handsome Mel Gibson. It was a tragic story with a rough ending.
Gallipoli was a touching site and a great way to commemorate the brave men on both sides of that war.



We visited so many places that I can't even keep them straight! One of the others days we visited Sardis, and the Temple of Artemis there had some of the most impressive columns I've ever seen. 
--and we sure have seen a lot of those! 


All in all, Turkey was so incredible. Our group cruised down the coast along the Mediterranean and saw many places that the apostles John and Paul visited on their missions through Asia Minor. I gained a way greater understanding of the trials they faced there as I saw the grandeur of cities they were up against. Their example of dedication and courage inspires me. What a great experience!





No comments:

Post a Comment